I had a bit of coconut milk leftover from the coconut milk Pink Ladies cake so I whipped up some dark chocolate coconut milk muffins.
I used the dark chocolate mint Endangered Species brand chocolate bar in this recipe. I thought dark chocolate mint and the fattiness of the coconut would work well together.
Endangered species chocolate is my favorite vegan chocolate thus far. You can find it at Earthfare in the coffee and candy section.
This recipe makes 10 small muffins if you use a 2 oz. scoop.
1/2 cup + 1 T. white rice flour
1/2 cup + 1 T. gluten-free all-purpose flour (Bob’s Red Mill brand – available at Earthfare at Kroger)
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. xanthan gum
1/2 cup Earth Balance vegan butter – cut into small cubes
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 t. salt
1/4 cup + 1 T. coconut milk
2 “eggs” (use EnerG egg replacer – available at Earthfare and Kroger)
2 T. oil
3/4 t. vanilla extract
1 – 3 oz. chocolate bar – dark chocolate mint flavor – chopped into small pieces with a serrated knife.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- Sift flours, baking powder, and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- Cream butter, sugar, and salt with a stand mixer on medium for 4 minutes. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, mix for 1 more minute. Scrape bowl.
- Slowly stir in milk with mixer on low. Scrape bowl.
- Slowly add “eggs” and oil.
- Add sifted flour mixture (in 2-3 increments) to the mixer. Mix on low until fully incorporated.
- Scoop into the prepared muffin pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
Don’t forget to use a toothpick to test your muffins. The muffins are done if you insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin, remove it, and it comes out clean.
Let the muffins cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing them (I use a spoon to help me pop them out of the pan). If you have a cooling rack, let them cool on the rack.
The texture of these muffins are much better than the last batch I made (a few months ago). I think I’m going to use coconut milk from now on. The subtle mint flavor from the dark chocolate makes this muffin extra special